- Clippers News: Doc Rivers Upset About Team’s ‘Pouting’
- Lakers News: Fan Cancels Wedding To Watch Kobe Bryant’s Debut Sunday
- UCLA Rumors: Is Brett Hundley Going To The NFL Draft?
- Rumors: Dodgers Have Extended Multiple Offers To Juan Uribe
- Video: Clippers’ Chris Paul Lobs Half Court Alley Oop To DeAndre Jordan
- Lakers News: Mike D’Antoni Says Kobe Bryant To Play About 20 Minutes Sunday
- Why U.S. National Soccer Team Has Hope In 2014 World Cup In Brazil
- WWE Rumors: Wrestlemania 31 To Take Place At Levi’s Stadium In Santa Clara
- Dodgers Rumors: David Price, Matt Kemp And Other Trade Candidates
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant’s Chances ‘Pretty Good’ Of Playing Sunday
Dodgers sign Brian Wilson
- Updated: July 30, 2013
[colored_box color="red"]UPDATE — 12:25 p.m. PT: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the deal is instead a Major League deal for Wilson and that he will head to the minors for a rehab assignment.[/colored_box]
[colored_box color="red"]UPDATE — 12:16 p.m. PT: Per Nightengale, the deal for Wilson is through this season.[/colored_box]
[colored_box color="blue"]UPDATE — 11:27 a.m. PT: The Dodgers have agreed to a minor-league deal per Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports on Twitter.
The Los Angeles Dodgers may be looking to add to their bullpen in the form of Brian Wilson, the former closer of the San Francisco Giants. Bob Nightengale of USA Today passes word that the leaders of the NL West are the frontrunner.
[button color="red" link="http://www.twitter.com/wcbsports"]Link on Twitter[/button]
The #Dodgers have now moved ahead and are the frontrunner to sign Brian Wilson
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 30, 2013
[button color="red"]Good idea?[/button]
Yeah, it actually is.
The return from elbow reconstruction and Tommy John surgery isn’t an easy one, and he could have an impact in the race for the National League pennant.
After all he did save six games in the 2010 World Series run for the Giants, allowing an unearned run on five hits in 11.2 innings pitched, striking out 16 and walking four batters.
Since then he is 6-4 with a 3.32 ERA and 37 saves in 57.0 innings pitched.
A scouting report from a bullpen session at UCLA had Wilson throwing 90-93 mph.
He has been said to have an interest in pitching in Los Angeles, preferring to stay near by.
With the Giants and Pirates seen as other teams pursuing his services, the Dodgers will not be unopposed. But what better way for Wilson to stick it to his old team by growing a blue beard and pushing the Dodgers through the pennant race?
After all, everybody knows that a copy of this Sergio Romo meme lies in Wilson’s bedroom as motivation not to return to San Francisco.
Wilson’s arrival in Los Angeles will mean the departure of Carlos Marmol, and then allows for the Dodgers to have a bullpen beginning with Wilson, continuing with Paco Rodriguez before getting to Ronald Belisario and Kenley Jansen.
You could even swap Wilson and Rodriguez to allow for the veteran to get looks later in the game.
With the playoffs looming the Dodgers will be looking to maximize its bullpen to shorten ballgames.
After all, it’s been coming around at the right time.
And if you’re against this, I guess you’re content with Marmol’s 2-4 record and 6.53 ERA, including 2.0 HR/9 rate.
Latest posts by Jonathan Garza (see all)
- Clippers News: Doc Rivers Upset About Team’s ‘Pouting’ - December 7, 2013
- Lakers News: Fan Cancels Wedding To Watch Kobe Bryant’s Debut Sunday - December 7, 2013
- UCLA Rumors: Is Brett Hundley Going To The NFL Draft? - December 7, 2013